Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I hope I won't lose my job.

Belief is a pretty touchy subject in the public education system.  We can't talk about our religious beliefs thanks to the separation of church and state (I got really nervous this year when one of my kids asked what religion I espouse, and I said, "Uh...I think I can answer that.  I'm Christian.  But that's all I can tell you about it."  And she kept asking questions and I kept not answering.).  The poor little kids are curious about things, and I can't tell them about my personal religious beliefs because I could get fired.  I wouldn't ever try to convert a student in or out of school, or even tell why my religion makes sense.  I would love to be able to answer their questions about myself and about religion in general without getting a stomach ulcer, though.

Politics goes the same way as religion.  A teacher I know got in the papers and on television -- in a negative way -- for an in-class comment about Obama that was taken out of context.  As little political affiliation as I have, I'm afraid that will happen to me someday.  I love politics and current events.  I never answer kids' questions about my own ideas about these things (again, I've gotten numerous questions before about candidates for whom I've voted, parties with which I'm affiliated, my opinions about politicians and policies...all left unanswered), but I tell them as much as I can without crossing the line from sterile information to personal belief.

These kids don't care about what happens in the political and legislative realms.  They don't know enough about it to care.  One of my kids today, one in the gifted program, in fact, asked what Congress is.  I was shocked enough that I didn't catch myself in time to not say, "Wait...are you serious?"  Poor kid.  She probably felt like she was the dumbest thing since Steelers fans (GOSH I wish my principal could have heard that!!).

I took it upon myself today to educate my students about the State of the Union Address.  We only discussed it in social studies, unfortunately.  But let's be honest, though -- if I could have worked it into my language arts curriculum so I could teach it all day long, I totally would have done it.  Plus I feel like it's an important enough event that kids should at least know about it so they can make the choice to watch it or not.

My lesson started out pretty boring, and a lot of the kids looked like they were about to fall asleep (no snide comments, please), chin in hand, then head on desk, then head turned away on desk...but at some point it picked up.  I think that may have been when I stopped trying to convince them of the importance of the speech on my own and we actually explored some internet articles about it.  These are actually very politically- and socially-minded children, though they aren't aware that they are.  They just need a little prodding.

That prodding came in the form of a little history lesson about the SOTU thanks to this article from George Mason University's History News Network.  It gave a fly-by of six memorable addresses, including the Constitutional basis for the SOTU as well.  We then moved on to a little political hypothesizing of our own, reading this article (or one similar to it -- I'm having trouble finding the original and it's stressing me out) at CNN.com while along the way deciding what we thought Obama would cover.  We talked about the deficit (yes, I taught them that word!), social security, Medicaid and Medicare, education (I bet them 500 bucks he'd mention math and science education specifically and they were sad when I said I wouldn't pay up if I lost), and the military/national security.  I even explained to them about the crier who introduces people like they're old kings, as well as telling the kids to note when only one side of the house will stand up versus when everyone stands.

OH I ALMOST FORGOT TO TELL YOU!  The reason why I talked about losing my job is because I was very careful to make the entire lesson very opinion-free, especially in light of what happened to my aforementioned teacher-friend.  I continually mentioned that the SOTU is an important thing no matter how you feel about the President, the policies, or anything else.  It was going great until one of my kids saw a picture of Obama and shouted, "He looks like a monkey!!" to which I replied, "Don't say something like that [insert stern teacher face]!"  He looked sheepish and quieted.  Ten minutes later, we were talking about Harry S. Truman's address and how he was the one who authorized the atomic bombs to be dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  The same kid yells out, "Well they deserved it!"  [hyperventilation and facial capillary inflammation ensue as I think about the gajillion civilians who died then and those who still feel the effects today] and I reply, "They did NOT deserve it!  That's a horrible way to die!  No one EVER deserves to die like that!!"  Aaaand I had to rein in my tongue as I realized we live in the middle of Militaryland and I didn't want any kids going home reporting that I hate the military.  Hence I was a little thrown off, and that got me thinking about how I take job security for granted.

Anyway, I'm hoping that even if they don't watch the address tonight, they'll at least know what people are talking about later on.  Maybe it'll plant a seed and they'll get interested in it in a few years.  I'd love it if it sparked a desire in them to be responsible and invested citizens (though I must admit that my love of the SOTU is just about as involved in this country's progress as I get), but I know that's a long shot.

Either way, they have the knowledge to make a choice.  Which is what this Union is really all about, if you think about it.

No comments: