I was inspired not so many minutes ago by the sweet ending to a Criminal Minds episode. Not only does Shemar Moore's character vow to protect his dear friend and my fellow pasty doughy smart chick for the rest of his life, but the episode ends with a poignant quotation by Robert W. Sockman: "Nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as real strength."
This made me think of my dear male friends of the past. I've had many dear male friends, a few of whom I would consider some of my lifelong friends, the ones I want to stick with me forever. They're absolute sweethearts. One is just about a male copy of me except that he's slightly more adventurous, thoroughly driven, operates using logic and reason almost entirely as opposed to feeling, and is able to stay focused on one thing at a time. Another is my foil; he is loud, confident, active, gregarious, independent, driven, assertive, and very protective of me. LOVE them. Miss them. :(
There are a few guys, as well, with whom I pretty much became best friends immediately. We're talking meeting, talking briefly, and exchanging hugs before parting. These are the kinds of guys who are my social twins. They want to know and support and love everybody, so our hearts giggle a little bit when we see each other. It's an immediate kindred soul kind of thing.
I've had the pleasure of getting to know many great guys through my church, too, whether through going to the church I grew up attending, or going on that same wonderful mission trip each year and meeting them there. I've been blessed to develop close friendships with guys older and younger, nearby and far away through these opportunities. Talk about sweet sugar hearts!
Anyway, each guy I can think of fits the Sockman quotation to a tee. Each one is a strong man, confident in himself and steady in his support of me, yet still gentle and protective in his strength. It's a pattern that was first set by God the Creator, providing for Adam and Eve both before their failure and during the many failures of His people that followed. It is a pattern continued by Christ, always standing up for Himself, His Father, and those He loves. His sacrifice was the ultimate exhibition of intermingled gentleness and strength: He had the desire to know us and have us with Him enough to die in our places, and He had the courage enough to endure hardship after hardship, and ultimately a horrifyingly painful and shameful death, just because He wanted us close to Him again.
This marriage of gentleness and strength is the example given for all our men (and women, in a somewhat different capacity) to follow, albeit imperfectly. I am overcome with sheer joy and felicity in thinking of all the men -- friends, family, brother, father -- who have so beautifully shown this particular facet of Christ's character to me. I am utterly grateful to have them in my life.
Here's to you, men.
No comments:
Post a Comment