Monday, November 22, 2010

Christmastime is [almost] here!

This post really should have been written about two weeks ago, at least -- I was remiss in posting, though, because there were so many other fun things to post about.  Normally, I would take one for the team and just let the post pass me by.  This is way too important to pass up, though.  As you will see.

Brandi was over here a couple of weeks ago just to hang out and eat tacos (I don't use taco seasoning packets, by the way, so my taco meat is always sad the first go-round until I spice it up again.  Just thought I'd let you know.), and we got really excited about Christmas.  It was in October already, so it was okay.  October is when Christmas season starts for kids like us.

She and I were talking about all the things we love about the Christmas season, and one thing that came up was how much we love Christmas movies.  I told her about a post that Page had written in which she made a to-do list of movies to watch before December 25th, and Brandi and I were inspired.  We decided that we would make a list of our own.

Twenty-seven movies, a Christmas menu and a blocked-off three-day weekend later, we had one of our grandest ideas ever.  You know Brandi and I like to make big plans.  Come on, we're the girls who made a summer plan and a five-year plan for trips that we need to take, and crossed off many of the things on those lists.  We really outdid ourselves this time, though.  We went to the websites for the Hallmark Channel, Lifetime and ABC Family, checking the schedules and reading up on all the different movies to see which ones we wanted to see.  We took an inventory of the movies we own, too, to make sure we'll have enough to watch when the DVR isn't caught up.  We brainstormed every food that would get us in the Christmas spirit, too -- remember, we've got to feed ourselves for an entire three-day movie-watching-weekend extravaganza.  It's gonna take a lot of food.

By the way, in the middle of all the excitement, Brandi says, "Hm, do you think maybe this is one reason why we don't have boyfriends?  Because we spend Saturday nights planning out a schedule for watching cheesy Christmas movies?"

...pause...

"But do you see how much I care?  Do you see me stopping?"

Girl after my own heart, pining for boys and doing nothing about it, and continuing to be stupid and girly in spite of her sad situation.  I'm right there with you, Brandi.  :)

Anyway, here are the fruits of our labor:

MOVIE LIST
It's a Wonderful Life; White Christmas; Borrowed Hearts; A Boyfriend for Christmas; The Christmas Shoes; A Very Merry Daughter of the Bride; 12 Men of Christmas; The Ultimate Gift; Elf; Love Actually; The Grinch (real-people version); Holiday in Handcuffs; The Santa Claus; Polar Express; Miracle on 34th Street; Christmas Cupid; ALLL the claymation movies; Home Alone 1 & 2; I'll Be Home for Christmas; The Christmas Card; A Kiss at Midnight; New in Town (just because I love Harry Connick, Jr.); The Magic of Ordinary Days; The Town Christmas Forgot; Charlie Brown Christmas; Bridget Jones' Diary; A Christmas Carol

MENU
Oreos; sugar cookies (when I asked if we could decorate them, Brandi said yes; then, very matter-of-factly, she said, "...and SPRINKLES" and wrote it on our list); lots of milk; chocolate chip cake; apple cider; moscato wine; sparkling cider; pot roast; chicken and dumplings; candy canes

I need your help to decide:  Are we really seven, twelve, or fifteen years old?  Because clearly we can't be in our twenties.

Because then we wouldn't be this ridiculously excited.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

HAHAHAHA - this is definitely going to happen and going to be awesome!

Mike Matteson said...

I'm very disappointed in you laura! How could you not include in my opinion the greatest christmas movie ever? That movie would be A Christmas Story! How is it that the tale of Ralphie and his quest for a Red Rider BB Gun not be included in this list?