I wonder if I do have a bit of a case of seasonal affective disorder. I've been awake and dressed since 9:30, and I even ate a yummy home-cooked breakfast. If it were December, I would still be in bed imagining myself wearing a cute swimsuit, reading a cute book, and sitting next to a cute guy at the beach.
I've been remiss by not mentioning the speed dating event that I attended Friday a week ago. It was truly kind of uneventful, but I'll do my best with the reporting. [for an alternate account, check out Brandi's take on it here]
I was against it from the start. A friend of mine from work sent me a facebook message about it to see if I would be interested, and I died laughing. When I told Brandi the bff about it, she suggested I go. I said I WILL NOT GO UNLESS YOU GO, in many more words, of course. I thought this would end it. I was wrong. She was all like THIS WILL BE AN ADVENTURE AND A GROWING EXPERIENCE and I was all like WHAAAA??????
So Brandi brought along a coworker, too, to round out our group of four, and we headed to the military base (oh wait, did I not tell you it's on a military base? oops, sorry--and yes that meant we sat opposite soldiers almost the entire time) for the event around 8. When you go on base without a military ID, everyone has to get out of the car and hand over their licenses, they check out the car's registration, and they open all hinged everythings to make sure there are no bombs. And they ask you why you're there.
The checking would have been less stressful for me by far if my friend hadn't given the reason for our visit as a cheerful WE'RE HERE FOR SPEED DATING! And if I hadn't had to show my face during the inspection immediately afterward. I wanted to throw up. Thankfully, so did Brandi and her coworker, so we were all ill and regretting our decision together.
We pull up to the sports bar where it's being held, and conspicuously walk through the entire venue until we realize it's on the back patio. Once we get out there, I relax. I'm usually that way when I'm afraid of something that's going to happen -- I freak out freak out freak out up until it's upon me, and then I step up and do my thing. I went into Mom Mode (meaning I drew on my mother's superior people skills and ability to look comfortable in any situation, no matter how crazy it is), joining people's talking groups, playing the guess-what-famous-person's-name-is-on-your-back game, introducing myself, signing the waiver (...? yeah, a little disconcerting to have to sign a waiver before being allowed to speed date on a military base, I must say -- it pretty much said that I have no expectations and I'm really single and I know it's not a dating service and I won't find them liable if I don't find my future husband -- no worries there), talking to strangers, etc. I was pretty proud of myself. I was pretty proud of Brandi, too, for she's even less of a fan of talking to random people than I am, and she was making friends all over the place. We both probably got some confidence because our crew consisted of the prettiest people there. Just saying.
Anyway, we mingled for a long time, too long in my opinion, took some random pictures for the organizing organization's publicity, and Brandi and her coworker played cornhole with some of the guys. Brandi hit one of them in the FACE with the beanbag, by the way, but he was cute so it was alright. If he's cute you can use it to your advantage and make a joke out of it. If he's ugly, well then it's just sad.
In the interest of keeping you interested, I'm breaking this up into two posts. That way you can read them at different times if you can't handle the length. Hold please...
1 comment:
I did not hit him in the face! He caught it before it hit him in the face!
Post a Comment