Monday, February 14, 2011

A happy Valentine's Day.

Valentine's Day isn't all about romantic love, people.  If it pleases the Court, I offer the following items as State's evidence:

Exhibit A:  Many days ago, I mentioned something offhand in a facebook comment about how I wanted the hot Hobby Lobby man to get my number because I needed a Valentine.  Out of that came a real Valentine, my dear, sweet friend Aaron, whom I have grown close to through going on that mission trip every year.  He made me a photo montage with a Luther Vandross song (LUTHER!!!) playing in the background as my present.  And he made all the other guys from the mission trip jealous by getting to me first -- I know this because it was all over facebook.  Very cute.  I have sweet friends.

Exhibit B:  I got to school this morning wearing my pink, predictably coordinating with my team members' own pink and red outfits.  Shari got me a box of chocolates that was chosen especially for me because it had a man on it.  Yes, it was a cartoon [and a teenaged] man who was part of a cartoon rock band, but I appreciated the thought.  Then Traci brought me some men's slippers that are Carolina blue with the interlocking NC on there.  Excellent.  I have sweet coworker-sister-friends.

Exhibit C:  Before school began and throughout the day, my students brought me gifts, from delectable (vocab word!) homemade treats to body sprays to jewelry to chocolates to candygrams to a touching card.  They all wanted to wish me a happy Valentine's Day, and apparently fatten me up a good bit in the process.  So adorable.  I have sweet students.

Exhibit D:  My parents called this evening to send love and best wishes, and also to tell me that they had been foiled twice in attempts to get me flowers today.  They wanted me to know that even though I didn't receive any flowers, they were thinking about me.  And they tried.  As ridiculous as it may be to get flowers from your parents and not a man on Valentine's Day, I love it.  And I love them for it.  I have sweet parents.

So you see, my friends, Valentine's Day can be about the mushy-gushy love and romantic feelings, but it's just as wonderful when it's all about the people you un-gushily love and the people who un-gushily love you right back.  I don't need to share today with an attractive man who is interested in having me as a long-term partner.  I need to share it with sweet friends, coworkers, students and family.  Because it feels pretty darn good to be loved by fifty people as opposed to just one.

And yes, I know that this is just the kind of thing that single girls love to say on a day devoted to what they don't have; but let's be honest, we know that I'm all about being honest, and I would tell you in a sputtering heartbeat if I really weren't okay with this.

I'm more than okay with it.  I love feelin' the love from all around.  :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

How sweet and fun! Love you!