how I hate grading papers:
I really hate grading papers.
It makes me feel like I'm a bad teacher because I'm giving out 68 points here, 27 points there; then I see the problems kids are missing, and they're things that are EXPLICITLY spelled out in our notes, so they'd have gotten them right if only they'd studied the two rules at the bottom of our notes for 9.4...; then there are the ones who completely ignore all six points they're supposed to graph on a coordinate plane despite the presence of a big ol' graph on the answer sheet; others ignore the numbers that exist on said plane and draw in their own (unfortunately, they only drew in quadrant I's positive numbers, so the four points with negative coordinates are automatically wrong); I tell them to write the signs and the numbers, and they write out "positive" when the answer is -5.
Am I talking to myself when I teach? And is it really helping when I send extra work home if these kids aren't even reading or listening to directions I give when we're in class? If they don't see the four-square-inch graph on the answer sheet and the six sets of ordered pairs on the test sheet? And will someone please provide them with pencils so I can stop wading through the scratched-out red and silver and green and pink pen on my tests?!
Alright, back to it. Lord help me.
2 comments:
I got the same thing when we were doing integers...positive or negative when I wanted the INTEGER!!! GRRRRR can you please READ and/or LISTEN to the directions? Thanks :)
Miss Sharkey (she was aptly named,)used to have a rule that it was pencils only in her class. Maybe you should do that. Or take blank points off if it is in anything but that.
Post a Comment