Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Agent used to prevent or treat fever. Greek.

I was in a spelling bee tonight, not really by choice.  I was speaking to one of our assistant principals and she said I should do it--I said I'd think about it, and next thing I know, the principal is at the next staff meeting announcing me as part of the team.  Awesome, thanks.

I got there at six tonight and learned that the actual tournament started at 6:30, so we sat around for 45 minutes (school events never start on time).  Then the rules weren't exactly fair, but we only had to use three "buy-ins" (meaning we only got three words wrong) whereas some other teams had to keep giving them up.  I was ready to be recognized for our awesomeness and get home.

Anyway, to make a long story short, we were narrowed down to three teams with the word "succedanum" meaning, simply, substitute.  Knocked another team out with "recalcitrant" and were neck-and-neck with the last team, then finally got out on "antipyretic".  Second place.  Second place out of maybe fifty teams of teachers and county staff, but still.  Second place.

I won't lie and say that I wanted to be first, because I kind of like my runner-up streak.  :-D

No comments: